Forces on bolted connections
The spreadsheet calculates the forces on the bolts in a bolted connection inserting the coordinates of each bolt composing the joint.
The considered external loads are: shear and tension forces, bending and torque moments.
It calculates the center of the connection with inertia characteristics and, taking into account the eccentricity of the point of forces application, calculates the bolts shear force along each axis and the tension.
Assigning the bending axis position it allows to evaluate the bending tensions on the bolts.
The results are shown in a graphical format enhancing the bolts in tension and compression.
Summary an detailed tables are included with summaries of all the reactions on each bolt:
- Total shear reactions on each bolt along X-Y axes
- Resultant shear on the bolts
- Resultant tension on the bolt
- Shear reactions due to the derived torque moment of applied shears Vx,Sd and Vy,Sd
- Shear reactions due to the design torque moment
- Shear reactions due to the design shear forces Vx,Sd and Vy,Sd
- Tension reaction on each bolt due to the design bending moment
A number of 100 bolts maximum can be represented.
Different worksheets are available:
- General bolted configuration assigning the coordinate of each bolt
- Specific sheet with bolts configuration disposed along a circle, useful for circular flanged connection
- General calculation of the neutral bending axis of the bolting with relevant calculation of forces on bolts and compressed contact area of the connection flange
Visual information are presented in a graphical format for shear and tension.
Shear vectors distribution for each bolt is shown giving the possibility to select one single bolt to show the forces acting on, with an easy identification of its position on the bolting.
The obtained values of the force on bolts can be used to verify the bolted joint by means of the other specific spreadsheet (see dimensioning of bolt spreadsheet in the connection category).
The spreadsheet you will purchase and receive is an excel file compiled in a “.EXE” application file format identified by our icon image. See the Activation/Support page for more details.
You can download a trial version of this spreadsheet for evaluation purpose. Click below to download the zipped file.
The trial version has a limited number of runs from its first activation on your computer, after that it stops to work and a new activation key is needed or the full version should be purchased.
To activate it, unzip the downloaded file, run the application and insert the Activation Key you will find in the .TXT file.
After key validation, the runs count starts on your machine and a window is displayed at each launch reminding you the remained launches.
To purchase the full version go back to this webpage or use the “Purchase Online” button on the window.
The trial spreadsheet is fully working with the following limitations:
- Expiration after a number of runs
- It is not possible to open/save external spreadsheets when it runs
- Excel toolbar is not visible
- Print function is disable
- Copy and paste functions are disable
- Save function is disable
What you will find in the full version
- No expiration
- It is possible to open/save external spreadsheets when it runs
- Excel toolbar is visible
- Print function is available
- Save function is available
- Copy and paste functions are available
For support and questions contact us.
For Excel 32 bit format use the 32 bit file, while for Excel 64 bit format use the 64 bit file.
Spreadsheet versions list:
New .EXE file format for the spreadsheet. When launching the .EXE file, Excel is started and the protected workbook is opened as if you had opened it the regular way. See Activation/Support page for more information.
Updated and improved the calculation of the forces on the bolts.
Included a graphical tool for the visualization of the forces (direction and entity).
Added worksheet for the configuration with bolts disposed on a circle.
Added worksheet for the calculation of the neutral bending axis of the bolting with relevant calculation of forces on bolts and compressed contact area of the flange
Version 1.0: new introduced file. Free version in the Free resource category.